TEMPE, Ariz. — Utah State men’s tennis rebounded on the final day of ASU’s invitation to defeat New Mexico, 4-1, Sunday at the Kiwanis Tennis Center. The game will not count towards conference records for either team.
The Lobos built momentum early in the doubles game with first- and second-place wins to claim the doubles point. In Third Place, Senior Graduate Felipe Acosta and rookie Sergi Mico Fenollar had his game suspended as he faced a 5-3 deficit.
Entering the singles game, however, the momentum shifted entirely to USU as the Aggies clinched victory with four straight singles wins. Mico Fenollar picked up a straight-set victory in fourth place over New Mexico’s Alex Maggs, 6-4, 6-4. Junior Roko Savin then put Utah State in the lead with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Daniil Dakhniuk.
On court three, Acosta put the Aggies on the brink of victory with a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Aram Noroozian before the senior Maksymilian Raupuk provided the deciding point, coming back in the third set to defeat Jan Pucalka, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. junior David Cierny and Bodin Zarkovic saw their matches on the first two courts suspended after the deciding point.
Utah State is leaving ASU Invite after going 2-1 in the tournament. The Aggies started the weekend with a 4-0 loss to No. 71-ranked UC Santa Barbara before falling to No. 65-ranked Rice in a closely contested 4-3 loss. With Sunday’s win over the Lobos, USU finishes in seventh place among the tournament’s loaded field.
The Aggies now have a week to prepare for their next game at Loyola Marymount on Tuesday, March 8 at 11 a.m. (MT). USU will also play at UC Riverside the following day, Wednesday, March 9, at 10 a.m. (MT).
Fans can follow the USU men’s tennis team on Twitter @USUMensTennis, on Facebook at /UtahStateMensTennis or on Instagram at USUMensTennis. Aggie fans can also follow Utah State’s athletic program on Twitter, @USUAthletics, Facebook at /USUAthletics and Instagram, @USUAthletics.
Kiwanis Tennis Center
Utah State 4, New Mexico 1
1. Nicolas Prieto/Arda Azkara (UNM) def. Jack Ninterman/Javier Ruiz (USU) 6-2
2. Alex Maggs/Jan Pucalka (UNM) def. David Cierny/Bodin Zarkovic (USU) 6-4
3. Felipe Acosta/Sergi Mico Fenollar (USU) v Rafael Abdulsalam/Georgio Samaha (UNM) 5-3, unfinished
1. Cierny (USU) v Azkara (UNM) 3-6, 7-5, 3-4, unfinished
2. Zarkovic (USU) v Abdulsalam (UNM) 6-7(3), 7-5, 1-3, unfinished
3. Acosta (USU) defeated. Aram Noroozian (UNM) 7-5, 7-5
4. Mico Fenollar (USU) defeated. Maggs (UNM) 6-3, 6-4
5. Roko Savin (USU) def. Daniil Dakhniuk (UNM) 7-5, 6-4
6. Maksymilian Raupuk (USU) def. Pucalka (UNM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
State of Utah: 5-5, 0-0 MW
New Mexico: 5-5, 0-0 MW