SPARTANS FACE LOBOS, FALCONS IN THE SECOND INTERMEDIATE WEEK: The split schedule continues this week as the San Jose state volleyball team travels to New Mexico for a game on Thursday before returning home to face the Air Force. These are the only meetings this season between the teams. San Jose State begins the week with a two-game winning streak after sweeping Nevada and Fresno State last week.
BUMP, SET, SPIKE
• The Spartans are tied for fifth in Mountain West’s standings with New Mexico and UNLV at 5-3. The top six teams qualify for the 2021 MW tournament in Las Vegas, November 24-26, at the Cox Pavilion.
•Two updates to the Spartan House schedule.
Saturday, October 30 – vs Fresno State, 7 p.m.
Thursday, November 11 – vs. Utah State, 4 p.m.
* The game time for November 13 will be announced on November 1.
•Madeline Boerstra was named the Mountain West Freshman of the Week. She helped the Spartans sweep Nevada and Fresno State last week. A center start against Nevada, she recorded three assists, two digs and two blocks in the game. At Fresno State, she led the Spartans with a season-high 10 kills as she returned to the out hitter. For the week, she averages 2.17 kills, 0.50 blocks and 2.58 points per set.
• The Spartans play in New Mexico on Thursday and haven’t beaten the Lobos in Albuquerque since the 1998 season. New Mexico leads the overall series 16-8, but the Spartans won the previous meeting last March at Spartan Gym , 3-2.
• Saturday’s home game against the Air Force is also the breast cancer awareness game. Pink Spartan Up bracelets will be available while supplies last.
• The head coach Trent Kersten recorded his first coaching victory in the spring when the Spartans won the Air Force, 3-2, on February 13.
• This is the second of three weeks on a divided schedule for the Spartans, playing a home game and an away game.