NAME: Damien R.Lara
POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
TOWN OF RESIDENCE: Albuquerque
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Bernalillo County Assistant Assessor; Affiliate of the Vice President of Assessors for the New Mexico Association of Counties; state-certified appraiser; Director, Economic Development for the City of Albuquerque; Senior Staff Counsel, Income Stabilization Tax Policy Committee, New Mexico Legislative Assembly; real estate and property code attorney.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Arts, Brown University; double major: Political Science & Philosophy 2001; Juris Doctorate, University of New Mexico School of Law 2007
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: DamienLara.com
1. What would you do to ensure that all properties are valued appropriately and fairly?
All values must be fair and equitable. I will implement and train staff on appropriate policies and procedures, and ensure they have the tools and state-of-the-art environmentally friendly technologies to conduct fair and equitable assessments. And I will pay quality salaries for quality reviews.
2. What makes you different from your opponent?
I know the office; the impact of unfair assessments on families, but also how families can benefit from fair assessments. I managed all the departments of this office. I am the only candidate with experience in the following areas: economic development, budgets, adoption of laws and administrative procedures. My experience and vision for a sustainable economy, safer streets, and stronger schools sets me apart.
1. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been subject to any state or federal tax liens?
2. Have you ever been involved in personal or commercial bankruptcy proceedings?
3. Have you ever been arrested, charged, or convicted of a DUI, misdemeanor, or felony in New Mexico or any other state? If yes, explain.