New Mexico @ State of New Mexico
Current records: New Mexico 2-4; New Mexico State 1-5
What there is to know
The New Mexico State Aggies haven’t won a game against the New Mexico Lobos since Sept. 9, 2017, but they will look to end the drought on Saturday. New Mexico State will face New Mexico at 8 p.m. ET at Aggie Memorial Stadium after a bye week. After losing in a game they were meant to win, the Aggies now face the tougher task of proving themselves against unfavorable odds.
New Mexico State fell short against the FIU Panthers two weeks ago, losing 21-7. If the result catches you off guard, it should be: New Mexico State was the clear favorite. Their only offensive touchdown came from RB Star Thomas.
There was some early excitement for New Mexico after winning the game’s first points last week, but it was the Wyoming Cowboys who ended up claiming the real prize. The Lobos fell to Wyoming 27-14. New Mexico was leading 14 to nothing at the end of the first quarter but couldn’t hold on to the lead. No one had a standout game offensively for New Mexico, but they got a touchdown from QB Miles Kendrick.
The losses put New Mexico State at 1-5 and New Mexico at 2-4. A pair of defensive stats to keep in mind while watching: The Aggies enter the game with the 35th-fewest passing yards allowed per game in the nation at 199.5. As for the Lobos, they rank 25th in the nation in touchdowns allowed, with just six this season.
How to watch
- When: Saturday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Aggie Memorial Stadium — Las Cruces, New Mexico
- TV: Flo Football
- Follow: CBS Sports app
The Lobos are a solid 6.5-point favorite against the Aggies, according to the latest college football odds.
New Mexico has won four of its last six games against New Mexico State.
- September 11, 2021 – New Mexico 34 vs. New Mexico State 25
- September 21, 2019 – New Mexico 55 vs. New Mexico State 52
- September 15, 2018 – New Mexico 42 vs. New Mexico State 25
- September 09, 2017 – New Mexico State 30 vs. New Mexico 28
- September 10, 2016 – New Mexico State 32 vs. New Mexico 31
- October 03, 2015 – New Mexico 38 vs. New Mexico State 29