Aggies emerge victorious in straight sets against SFA
Birtcil punishes Ladyjacks with assault of 22 dead
PHOENIX – The division leading the Aggies and Ladyjacks met for a duel in the desert at the GCU Arena. Directed by Katie birtcil and his record of 22 kills, NM State earned a 3-0 victory on Thursday night, cementing his status at the top of the West Division.
SET ONE | NM STATUS 25, SFA 19
- The Aggies stormed the door, accumulating a 6-1 advantage with Kelly Cat direct the attack. Kelly recorded three early wins and Darian markham recorded a service ace.
- SFA were able to rally from their slow start, eventually reducing NM State’s lead to 20-18 before the Aggies regained their composure and ended the set with a 5-1 rally.
- Lia mosher set the stage for Aggie’s defense, recording a pair of blocks and helping keep Ladyjack’s offense down to a .128 strike clip in the first set.
- Katie birtcil roared to life in the second half of the set, ending with a record seven kills on a 0.412 hit percentage.
SET TWO | NM STATUS 25, SFA 20
- The Ladyjacks got off to a much stronger start in the second set, keeping pace with the Aggies before NM State pulled away with a 7-2 run to increase their lead to open the set.
- The Aggies ran into trouble midway through the set, seeing their lead slowly fade to a 21-20 advantage thanks to an SFA run of 11-5.
- NM State finished the Ladyjack rally with a 4-0 rally, winning the set 25-20
- Birtcil and Husband Sharp paved the way for the Aggies in the second set, finishing with 14 and nine kills respectively after two sets.
- Mosher added another block with a pair of kills, while Lauryn Taylor and Darian markham combined for a pair of service aces.
SET THREE | NM STATUS 25, SFA 15
- The third set started off as a back-and-forth affair, with the Aggies holding a 3-2 advantage early on.
- After a slow start, the Aggies took control of the game and ended the deciding third set with an 8-3 streak led by Birtcil and Kelly.
- The stingy NM State defense held the Ladyjacks down to a .036 clip in the third set, helped by a Shaney lip comb to block.
- The Ladyjacks were plagued with attacking errors in the third set, giving the Aggies six points.
MAIN STAKEHOLDERS / RATING STATISTICS
- Katie birtcil (22) and Husband Sharp (10) paved the way for Aggie’s attack, recording double-digit wins.
- Carly Aigner-Swesey’s The hot streak continued, posting his fourth double-double in five games with 45 assists and 14 digs, adding a block to complete his stat line that night.
- Aggie’s frontline defense held up against the SFA offense, keeping the Ladyjacks at 0.140 hitting percentage, well below their season average of 0.241.
- Leah Powell (9 assists) and Ielan Bradley (7 assists) paved the way for the Ladyjacks’ attack, while Kodi Garcia (13 assists) and Alyssa Ortega (12 recoveries) led the way in their respective categories. .
- The Aggies improved their all-time record against SFA to 2-1, despite being the schools’ first meeting as enemies of the conference.
QUOTE | HEAD COACH MIKE JORDAN
“We played reasonably well against a strong team. We were solid passing and attacking. Carly’s set-up and his game very well. We can serve him better, but it was a good team win.
TO BE CONTINUED
- NM State has a quick turnaround for its next WAC contest, returning to GCU Arena tomorrow night to face the Sam Houston Bearkats at 6:00 p.m.